Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finding your Passion

I had a comment on my last blog post asking how my weight loss journey was going and if I had any advice for those who may be struggling.

So...let me just put myself out there. A few weeks ago, I had a really rough weigh in where I not only gained 3.5 lbs, I also gained 3.5 inches. It was frustrating, dissapointing and embarrasing. Things were going so well, and then I hit a 2-week slump where I decided not to care about anything that had to do with health and fitness. On top of this, I got into a huge argument with my trainer.

Then I decided to change my workouts a little bit. I wanted to be able to incorporate yoga and now that it's getting warmer, I wanted to be able to go riding in the mornings. The past 2 weekends I've gone to the park and been biking, and then practiced TaeKwonDo at lakeside. Since then, I've take the 3.5 pounds/inches.

Last Wednesday, I received my black belt. At that moment, something in my heart and mind changed. I knew that I had accomplished a huge milestone, and it put me one step closer to be reaching my dream.

So, here is my advice to you, and to me: Find your passion, because it's that passion that can really help drive and motivate us to make good decisions. For me, when I'm running, or biking...I just imagine what my school will look like and it reminds me why I'm doing what I'm going.

Also, having a good support system is crucial. Whether it be a personal trainer, church community, or a small group of friends. Encouragement is SO important.

Getting on a weight loss program like Weight Watchers is a good idea. Being accountable to a group of people and a scale does help.

But the biggest piece of advice I could give ANYONE, is this...Don't measure success only by the number of pounds or inches you've lost. There are so many others things that make us successful: running for an extra 30 secs, holding an isomentric for 20 extra secs, doing more reps of an activity than you originally set out to do, how your clothes are fitting and how your body is feeling are usually better indicators of true success.

The fact that I can do traditional push-ups now, and run 1.5 miles are better mile markers on my journey than the pounds and inches. I never thought I'd have EVER been able to do those 2 things.

I hope this helps a little. Please don't feel like you are alone, because you aren't. If you need anything anything, you can email me at hebrews.ch12v1@gmail.com.

Let us all run with perserverance this race set before us and throw off everything that holds us back!

No comments:

Post a Comment