Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cross-Training

So...according to my training schedule, I was to take a 30-minute stroll today. Instead...I assisted in 2 VERY active junior TaeKwonDo classes. Tomorrow, I'm goin for another 3-mile walk - and will probably go to the track at Florida State and see if I can cut down my time a little. Last Sunday, I did 3 miles in around 57 minutes.

Here is where self-doubt sets in. The average time for a 5k is between 30 and 40 minutes. To shave that much time off my personal time before June 19, seems totally overwhelming. If I think about it too long, I just might talk myself out of it. So, i just keep pluggin along - trying to do my best for the day I'm in.

I've never been a runner, or even an active walker for that matter. I'm afraid that when I tell people that I'm gunna do a 5k or a half-marathon, that they get this image in their head about my fitness level. This is a HUGE struggle for me. There are many times when i tend to lose my purpose, or forget what and why i'm doing what I'm doing. But I have people around me who, in the own wonderful way, cheer me on toward the finish line. I hope that they continue to do so, because without them...I tend to wander aimlessly.

On the other hand, I feel a sense of purpose in my journey of jogging. Each step I take erases the cruel names I was called as a child, and the hateful things that have been said to me over the years. Each time my calves and shins burn in pain, I feel a little more justified and empowered. It is on the pavement that fear and triumph meet, head to head in a battle - tearing down habits of the past and rebuilding the future.

To you faithful few - who read this blog and comment often of inspiration and encouragement...THANK YOU. You can't know how much that means to me - and how inspiring you have become in my journey.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle HarrisonMay 23, 2010 at 6:55 AM

    No Stinkin' Thinkin' allowed on this journey! Envision where you want to be and keep that in the front of your thoughts. You WILL get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you have so many people on your side!! Not to mention the biggest person, God is and always will be on your side!!! I'm pulling for you and I know that you WILL and CAN do this!!

    ReplyDelete