Thursday, May 13, 2010

Training Day 4

So, according to Hal Higdon's Training to walk a half-marathon plan, I was to walk for 30 minutes at an easy pace. There is a small part of me that wonders if this walking plan was meant for people who are in some semblace of shape - which I'm not. So, I did about a 20 minute mile, then jogged a 8 minute half mile.

Part of my training over the next few months will be telling my brain to SHUT UP! When I start running, and get a little winded - my brain often tells my body to stop what its doing because it shouldn't be out of breath. For all of its smarts, my brain can be so dumb sometimes.

I have NO INTENTION of running the entire half-marathon. However, I do have 2 goals: 1) to Finish, and 2) to not be last.

Some cool (to me) relizations: I can actually jog .5 miles and be ok; my heart rate returns to normal fairly quickly (it takes about a minute); while jogging, the sound of my knees no longers elicits pain.

for me, this is like discovering the world again, for the first time. I've been overweight all my life. I've never really been athletic, minus and aptitude for TaeKwonDo. To be able to run 20 paces and not keel over, is great - to run a half a mile and not die is AWESOME, to finish a half marathon - UNBELIEVABL!!!

So...to Run with Perseverace this race marked out for us. Today, the word that that jumps out to me is perseverance. What does it mean? To keep going, not give up. We will probably stumble, and may even fall, but with perseverance - we always get back up and find the right path. To me, it also means tenaciously fighting for the goal - doing MY best for that particular moment.

Be encouraged, friend - we are not alone!!!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle HarrisonMay 13, 2010 at 8:40 AM

    Wow. I am inspired by your words. Keep it up, Courtney. With that determination, you will surely succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, This is a great in-site into yourself and that which motivates you. Pain can be one of the hardest things to overcome. Its a matter of mind over matter; "If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Our minds are so powerful in both positive and negative ways. We only have to learn to channel the positive to accomplish any and alls things with God's grace.

    ReplyDelete