Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sweaty Day 7

Today's training: 3 miles. Even though there wasn't a time limit on my 3 miles, I set one for myself. I wanted to finish today in under an hour...which I did!

I hitched a ride with my best friend to her work, and then walked back to the apartment - which is a little over 3 miles. I've made that journey one other time before a couple of years ago, but it took me about 2 hours 45 minutes.

I realized a few things this morning: this journey really is made by putting one foot infront of the other; step by step. I could have turned back and asked to be taken home, or i could have called someone to pick me up. And part of me wanted to. Once I turned the corner from Hartsfield on to Misson Rd., I felt a little discouragement settle in because I saw just how much road was ahead of me. It took quite a bit of energy to find my groove so that each step was purposeful. But I did. I had to trick my brain by setting small distance goals: 'I can make it to the speed limit sign; the stop light, the subdivion'; rinse and repeat.

Realization numero dos (#2) - About halfway through my walk, I felt a very painful stinging in my eyes - and finally understood why people where headbands. I think I just might have to get one of my own - Hot pink perhaps. :)

Realization #3 - this half marathon is gunna be crazy. If I felt overwhelmed about the couple of miles ahead of me, I can't even imagine what will go through my head the day of the event. Some of the emotions might be: excitement, fear, nearvousness, lonliness, joy, sadness - among others, i'm sure. But I must remind myself often, that the only way to get from start to finish is one step at time, walking in the moment, thinking of nothing else.

i'm also learning just how awesome the human body is, and what it's capable of doing. more to come on that later.

Running with perseverance this race set before me...one step at time.

No comments:

Post a Comment